What things do you need as a second time mama? Which things are essential for your registry? What makes a great gift for a mama who already has it all?
It is a silly thing to be concerned with, but a mama likes to be prepared! The greatest gift the moms who have gone before me have given me are their thought through, life lived opinions. With that gift came some level of confidence that we would be ready for this big life change.
I will admit, I lean more towards minimalism and ease of living when it comes to the products I choose. I did my best to avoid clutter, invest in things that would last to the toddler years and products that would assist me get life done. These are a few of my faves for babies one and beyond!
Duplicates & Must-Haves:
A mix of things a new mama will want, and a repeat mama will need more of!
- Graco Pack-n-play: We hoped to be on the go as much as we needed, and a simple, light sleeping arrangement was what we needed for visits to Mimi’s house. This has lasted us through the 2’s!
- Baby Monitor: Husband was on tech duty for all things baby. But we both agreed that a camera that was video, without wifi, was the way to go. This model also allows you to add additional cameras once number two comes around!
- Replacement Nipples: Things like bottle nipples, pacifiers and some pump parts have to be replaced with each child. As a first time mom, I also had no clue that bottle models can come with different flow speeds! This can be a help for speeding up slow eaters, or reducing spit up with babes who cannot keep up.
- Sound machine: Alert – newborns like it quiet! A sound machine is great for giving you some cover as you tiptoe into the bedroom, as well as mimicking noise in the womb for good sleep.
- Graco Ready 2 Grow Double Stroller: For number two, we’re picking this because of all the options with seating. Sometimes toddlers want to sit, sometimes they want to walk, and little one will grow from carseat to upright sitting. Also, it folds flat and is lightweight for easy car loading!
- Bulbed Aspirator: You will most likely get one of these for free at the hospital, BUT they are so hard to clean! This aspirator unscrews for easy cleaning between uses.
- Carrier: This is going to be different for every mommy, but here are some things to consider. Material – what season will I be carrying them in? Structure – how long do I plan to carry? Price – how much am I willing to spend if baby plain hates being carried in this way?
Unique Gift Ideas:
For the friend that likes to shop beyond the registry, or unique and helpful items that you may not have considered!
- Burts Bees Zip-up PJs: Run very fast away from snap pajamas!
- Pink Blush Maternity Gift Card: A treat for mom for a new set of pajamas, pants that fit or a summer swimsuit.
- Young Living Claraderm: Post-partum help for healing and pain reduction
- Hello Fresh subscription: This is a great way to “send a meal” from far away!
- Books: Fun books that will keep interest through the years, enjoyable for mom and kid!
- “A Time to Keep: For Tasha Tudor A Book of Holidays”
- “If You Go Down to the Woods Today” by Rachel Piercey and Freya Hartas
- “The Ox Cart Man” by Donald Hall
- “Seven Silly Eaters” by Mary Ann Hoberman
- Young Living Kid Scents: Rollers or drops can be used for good sleep, scrapes and sniffles.
- Reusable Puree Pouches: A game changer for whole food snacking, road tripping or adding more vegetables for babies to toddlers.
- Puree Food Storage: A great way to batch make baby foods and take on the go!
- Mama Books:
Gift ideas in a Pinch
Not necessarily essential, but handy for sure. These gifts can save mama time, space or creativity!
- Joovy Spoon Walker: This was a “safe space” for our early walker, as well as a barrel of laughs with all the bumping and bonking.
- “The Read Aloud Family” by Sarah Mackenzie: A real encouragement to read to your kids at all ages, and to keep mama’s heart wanting good things for family in the midst of business.
- Breast Milk Storage Bags: While these are great for refrigerating and freezing breast milk, they also make great measured, disposable storage options for purees and cut produce on the go!
- Haaka: This is a win for the mama with oversupply, or just looking to save every drop of liquid gold.
- Frida Baby Humidifier 3-in-1: Cool mist humidifier, essential oil diffuser and nightlight!
- Calico Critters: Such a sweet introduction to imaginative play.
- Hatch Sound Machine / Toddler Light: A tried and true sound machine that helps toddlers learn when its time to get up and time to stay asleep later on.
- Crib Sheets: Ample amounts of cozy sheets makes washing and sleeping easy
- Toups & Co Baby Wash: A natural alternative for bathtime made with beef tallow
- Foldable Wagon: For a non-stroller, on the go option for parks, walks and camping!
Gifts that Keep Giving
As the keeper of the home, the baby raiser, the toddler tamer… Mom’s are the gate. We let in good and helpful things, and close the door for the excessive, redundant and unnecessary. Moms prevent waste, aim for efficiency and make space for wholesome things that support the family. Great gifts support these mamas, but so do encouraging words, warm meals, personal time, and companionship. So whether you can provide a Solly wrap to keep her babe close, or just a “I see you” note in the mail, let’s lift up these mamas the best ways we can.